Skip to main content

Domestic abuse

This page contains help and advice if you or someone you know is a victim of domestic abuse or sexual violence.

How to leave this page quickly

Please note:

What to do in an emergency situation

If you are in immediate danger, call 999 and ask for the police. If you can’t speak and are calling on a mobile press 55 to have your call transferred to the police. Find out how to call the police when you can’t speak (opens GOV.UK website).

Definition of domestic abuse

Domestic abuse is a crime.

It can happen to anyone of any age, gender, sexuality, ethnicity, religion or social background. It can take place between couples or family members, including child to parent abuse.

Domestic abuse can include, but is not limited to, the following:

(Links open the Cambridgeshire and Peterborough Domestic Abuse and Sexual Violence Partnership website).

The Domestic Abuse Act 2021 (opens GOV.UK website) provides the definitions of domestic abuse.

Where to get help and support

If you're being abused, please remember you are not alone. It is not your fault.

There are many organisations and charities here to help, support and advise you.

The Cambridgeshire and Peterborough Domestic Abuse and Sexual Violence Partnership website

Peterborough City Council is a member of the Cambridgeshire and Peterborough Domestic Abuse and Sexual Violence Partnership. Other members include the NHS, police, councils and charities across the county.

The partnership website has a wide range of information for victims and survivors of domestic abuse and sexual violence. There is also information for families, friends and professionals working with survivors.

Information is available for different ages, gender identities, sexualities, people with disabilities, and victims or survivors who are pregnant or have children. 

You can also find information on safety planning, legal rights and financial support.

Visit the Cambridgeshire and Peterborough Domestic Abuse and Sexual Violence Partnership website.


Local support services can access interpreters. Some have specialist services for people whose first language is not English.

The Domestic Abuse Support Service (DASS) can provide access to interpreters where needed. Freephone 0300 373 1073 or email Their phone line is open Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm (excluding bank holidays).

Peterborough Women's Aid offers:

You can also view more language support options on the Cambridgeshire and Peterborough partnership website.

Impakt Domestic Abuse Support Service (DASS) offers advice and support to survivors of domestic abuse of all sexualities and gender identities across Cambridgeshire and Peterborough.

You can contact DASS to self-refer on freephone 0300 373 1073 or email Their phone line is open Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm (excluding bank holidays).

UK SAYS NO MORE is working with pharmacies, banks, and selected jobcentres across the UK to provide Safe Spaces in their consultation rooms for people experiencing domestic abuse.

How to access a Safe Space:

  • Walk into any participating safe space in the UK
  • Ask a member of staff at the counter to use their safe space
  • You will be shown to the Safe Space which will be a private room
  • Once inside you can use the safe space in whichever way works for you. They provide a safe and discreet way to reach out to friends and family, contact specialist support services and start your journey to recovery.

Find out more on the Safe Spaces Locations website.

All Cambridgeshire and Peterborough libraries offer access to computers so that people can contact domestic abuse support services without their searches being traced.

The following libraries can provide a private room and telephone to do this:


  • Bretton Library
  • Central Library
  • Dogsthorpe Library
  • Hampton Library
  • Orton Library
  • Werrington Library


  • Cambridge Central Library
  • Clay Farm Library
  • Ely Library
  • Huntingdon Library
  • March Library
  • Ramsey Library
  • St Ives Library
  • St Neots Library
  • Sawston Library
  • Wisbech Library

Visit the Peterborough Libraries website to view locations and opening times.

Visit the Cambridgeshire County Council website to view their library locations and opening times.

A refuge is a place that provides safe and stable accommodation for people fleeing from domestic abuse. People are usually given refuge accommodation away from their local area.

Local support services can help you to access refuge accommodation. You can also contact the National Domestic Abuse Helpline on 0808 2000 247. The phone line is open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week and is run by Refuge.

Please contact us if you are homeless, or at risk of becoming homeless, due to domestic abuse. You can call our Housing Needs Team on 01733 864 064 or visit our homelessness webpage.


Rape and sexual assault:

Public sector:

If you are worried about the welfare of an adult or child and you believe they are being abused or are at risk of harm, please let our Social Care department know.

If you're worried that a family member, friend, neighbour or colleague is being abused, there is information available to help.

The Cambridgeshire and Peterborough Domestic Abuse and Sexual Violence Partnership has published information on their website about:

The Cambridgeshire and Peterborough Domestic Violence and Sexual Abuse Partnership website has a section for professionals. It provides links to referral forms, guidance, resources, training information and access to free e-learning modules.

View the professionals section on the Cambridgeshire and Peterborough Domestic Violence and Sexual Abuse Partnership website.

Have you heard of Clare's Law?

Clare's Law, also known as the 'Domestic Violence Disclosure Scheme', is a police policy giving you the right to know if someone has an abusive past. You can make a request for information under the scheme about your current or ex-partner, or about the current or ex-partner of a relative or friend.

Request information under Clare's Law: Make a Domestic Violence Disclosure Scheme (DVDS) application | Cambridgeshire Constabulary (

About our services

The Cambridgeshire and Peterborough Domestic Abuse and Sexual Violence Partnership brings together key agencies across Cambridgeshire and Peterborough. It aims to reduce the harm, risks and costs associated with domestic abuse and sexual violence and to prevent these crimes occurring across the county.

Organisations in the partnership

The partnership is made up of key agencies in the county that have a role in preventing domestic abuse and sexual violence, as well as providing services and support to survivors. This includes:

  • Councils
  • Government
  • Health
  • Police
  • Charities
  • Education

These partners form the Domestic Abuse Safe Accommodation Strategic Board. It is responsible for producing and updating the strategy and action plan for domestic abuse services in Cambridgeshire and Peterborough.

Responsibilities of the partnership

The partnership is responsible for:

  • Commissioning refuge places, safe accommodation and mobile advocacy outreach support
  • Independent Domestic Violence Advisory Service (IDVAs)
  • Awareness raising
  • Training for professionals

At Peterborough City Council, we have a Domestic Abuse and Sexual Violence Team. They are responsible for:

  • Commissioning domestic abuse support services (such as refuges and mobile advocacy)
  • Delivering the Independent Domestic Violence Advisory Service across Cambridgeshire and Peterborough
  • Working closely with organisations across the county such as Cambridgeshire Police, the Police and Crime Commissioner, NHS, education and the voluntary sector

Peterborough City Council has been an accredited partner of White Ribbon UK since 2021.

The White Ribbon Campaign encourages men to speak out about male violence - primarily towards women but also towards other men and boys.

Visit the White Ribbon UK website to:

  • Find out more about the campaign
  • Take the pledge to not remain silent about male violence