Child employment and entertainment

Child employment

There are byelaws about the hours that children in compulsory education can work and what they are allowed to do. Compulsory education for children ends on the last Friday in June of Year 11.

The employer needs to apply for a permit for the employment of children, from the local education authority in whose area the employment takes place. An application form can be obtained from schools, or download the form here on the right. 

This form should be completed and signed by the parent, headteacher and employer and returned to the address stated on the form.

Further information about child employment is available on website.

Work Permit Application

Size: 149.16 KB File format: pdf

Child performance licences

Performance licences are required for children who are performing in theatre, television, film, sporting activities or modelling and are of compulsory school age.

The local education authority where the child lives issues the licence, and provides a copy to the authority where the performance is to be held, if it is in a different local authority area.

Your child will need a licence if:

  • time off school is required.
  • there is any payment made except to cover the cost of expenses.
  • the performance lasts for more than four days or they have already performed more than four days in the preceding six month period.
  • they will perform in licensed premises
  • the performance will be broadcast, filmed or recorded for public exhibition (see note)

If a child is appearing in a broadcast or recorded performance, and none of the above criteria apply, they will not need a licence, provided they are are recorded taking part in a normal activity such as in school or at a youth club.

If your child is in an entertainment arranged by a school, church, youth organisations or dramatic society, they do not need a licence provided they are not performing for more than four days. In some cases, even if a child performs for more than four days, a licence for each individual child may not be required.

Child Performance licence application

The licence applicant is required to complete Part 1 of the licence application form and the parent must complete Part 2. A signed letter by the Head Teacher is required if absence from school is requested. All three documents together with ID should be returned to the address at the bottom of the form.

We require 21 days to process the form.

Performance Licence Application template

Size: 401.95 KB File format: pdf

Body of persons approval

We can issue a licence for amateur productions to responsible adults (a Body of Persons) such as youth organisations, dramatic societies or churches where child performance licences would otherwise be required for the individual children who participate. The Body of Persons Approval application is available to download.

Body of Persons Approval Application

Size: 88.65 KB File format: pdf

Chaperone licence

If a parent or carer does not accompany a child, the production company is required to supply a chaperone who is currently licensed by the council. The Child Chaperone Licence Application is available at the bottom of this page. A disclosure check from the Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) is required. There is an administration fee of £45 for volunteers and  a fee of £65 for paid chaperones.

Child chaperone licence application form

Size: 131.58 KB File format: pdf