Local Authorities have a duty to determine school term dates for local authority maintained schools. Schools must be open to pupils for 190 days in an academic year, and 195 days for teachers.
Foundation, Trust, Voluntary Aided schools and Academies are responsible for setting their own holiday dates and so individual schools, may choose to follow a pattern and/or specific dates that do not match those set by Peterborough City Council.
Please check the school’s own website to verify term dates and details of staff training dates, which are set at the discretion of the school.
When setting and determining the term dates for Peterborough City Council maintained schools, we have, where possible, tried to take account of dates/patterns already set by our local authority neighbours, to support families for whom the pattern of their child’s educational provision occurs in two different local authority areas.
Following the period of consultation, which took place between 3 December 2018 and 14 January 2019 the timetable below shows the determined School Term Dates for all community and voluntary schools in the Peterborough City Council area for the academic year 2020 - 21.
Please note: Due to the Phoenix School's website being temporarily out of service, term dates can be found below.
School term dates 2019/2020
Autumn term 2019
- Opens - Wednesday 4 September
- Half term - Monday 21 to Friday 25 October
- Ends - Wednesday 18 December
Spring term 2020
- Opens - Monday 6 January
- Half term - Monday 17 to Friday 21 February
- Ends - Wednesday 1 April
Summer term 2020
- Opens - Monday 20 April
- Half term - Monday 25 May to Friday 29 May
- Ends - Tuesday 21 July
- Monday 8 May 2020
- Monday 25 May 2020
Results of the consultation on the setting of term dates for the 2021/2022 academic year
Thank you to all those who responded.
During the period of consultation we received 116 responses. 69 of these responses were in favour of the proposals and 47 were not.
Objections raised comprised of:
- Not wishing to finish on a Monday, as this may lead to disaggregated PD days or families going on holiday and not attending school for the last day in July.
- The impact of specific dates on schools’ attendance data.
- Queries over the actual number of pupil days stipulated being more than the 190 pupil days.
- Moving the summer term end date to fall earlier than stipulated.
- Moving the September 2021 start date to fall later than stipulated.
- Changes to the length of the summer holiday.
- Changes to half term dates to allow families to take advantage of more affordable holidays.
When setting dates we have, where possible, tried to take account of dates/patterns already set by our local authority neighbours, as well as the objections raised above.
Below, is the term date timetable for all community and voluntary schools in the Cambridgeshire area for the academic year 2021 – 2022.
Autumn Term Dates
- 1 September to 22 October 2021
- Half Term 25 October to 29 October
- 1 November to 17th December 2021
- Christmas Holidays December 20 to January 4
Spring Term Dates
- 4 January to 11 February 2022
- Half Term 14 February to 19 February
- 21 February to 1 April 2022
- Easter Holidays 4 April to April 18
Summer Term Dates
- 19 April to 27 May 2022
- Half Term 31 May to 3 June
- 6 June to 22 July 2022
- Summer Holiday July 26 to August 30