The information on this page relates to maintained schools. For details about how the role differs in Academies, please refer to the DfE Governance Structures and Roles.
Volunteer as a school governor and support education in Cambridgeshire and Peterborough
School governors play a vital role in education. The governing board:
- plans the strategic direction of a school
- makes sure public money is well spent
- and holds school leadership to account
Schools across Cambridgeshire and Peterborough need people to volunteer as governors. A strong governing board ensures robust debate, which leads to better educational outcomes for children.
Whatever your professional background, your skills could transform a school. In return, you will be supporting your local community and benefiting from the chance to develop new skills.
You don’t need to be a parent or have experience working in education to be a school governor. Governing boards need a variety of perspectives and thrive with people from different backgrounds and lived experiences.
What do school governors do?
The governing board has three core functions:
- Ensuring clarity of the vision, ethos and strategic direction
- Holding the senior leadership to account for the educational performance of the school and its pupils
- Overseeing financial performance of the school and ensuring money is well spent
We will soon replace this Cambridgeshire form. But for now where the form mentions 'Cambridgeshire' please read as 'Cambridgeshire and Peterborough'.
How we support school governors
Governors in Cambridgeshire and Peterborough are supported in their role by having access to information, advice, support, resources and training.
While volunteers don’t need any specific background or experience to become a school governor, completing training means you can be effective from your first day, helping improve educational outcomes for children.
The School Governance Team provides:
- statutory functions for governors
- termly briefings for governors
- programme of training and support
- a professional clerking service
- To find out more about the governor role visit governorsforschools.org.uk. Governors for Schools is a national education charity that matches volunteers with local schools in need. They also has a number of free eLearning modules, including an introduction to school governance. The charity holds webinars each term on key governance topics. Register for upcoming webinars and watch back previous recordings.