To accommodate the growth of Peterborough it is important to continue to invest in improvements to our road and other transport networks.
These are the main projects planned and underway around the city.
Junction 18 A47/A15 (Rhubarb Bridge)
Plans are moving forward to improve Junction 18 of the A47/A15 (at the roundabout separating Lincoln Road (Brotherhood Retail Park and Morrisons) and Bourges Boulevard (Boulevard Retail Park and Maskew Avenue Retail Park) for pedestrians, cyclists and motorists.
The existing bridges have been repaired for a number of years however the deterioration of the structures has now reached a point where repairs are becoming increasingly more difficult and uneconomical. The plans involve removing the existing bridges (Rhubarb Bridge), and installing ground level pedestrian crossings.
The crossings would be required during these works even if the bridges were being replaced as the alternative pedestrian and cycling diversions would be too long and could result in people crossing at the junction in an unsafe manner.
In addition to the poor condition of the structure there are also a number of anti social behaviour issues within the subway area of the bridge. To address this issue the scheme plans to fill the subway and install a number of CCTV cameras.
The condition of the bridges has been the primary driver for the scheme however, as well as removing the footbridge, the project has been designed to increase capacity and improve current and future traffic flow at this junction.
Condition of existing bridges
The two clips below show the simulated traffic flows for the existing layout and the future (scheme implemented) layout side by side so that a direct comparison can be made. In the interests of consistency the 2016 flows have been used for both layouts so that the affects of the scheme can be observed.
Have your say on the improvement plans for Junction 18 A47/A15
Peak travel periods create congestion at the Rivergate roundabout, partly through vehicles queuing on Bishop’s Road. Further road congestion arises from westbound traffic waiting to turn into the Bishop’s Road car park.
The scheme proposes to:
- Relocate the current signal crossing around 65m further East. Most pedestrians using the crossing walk to or from car parks or towards the Regional Pool.
- Create two eastbound lanes east of the crossing to provide a dedicated right turn lane to the Lido car park.
- Improved cycling provision – including through Lido Gardens
- Widen the footway to the north side of the road and designate shared use for pedestrians and cyclists.
- Create an improved crossing point for pedestrians and cyclists at the vehicle entrance to Car Haven Car Park.
- Install new LED lighting
- Improve pedestrian footways and crossing points at the Vineyard / Bishops Road / Gravel Walk roundabout.
Improvements to cycle ways are due to start in summer 2016. Carriageway works will start in early 2017.