To accommodate the growth of the city it is important to continue to invest in improvements to our road and other transport networks.
Below is a summary of the main projects planned and underway around the city.
Lower Bridge Street
The next phase of the works to improve the look and feel of Lower Bridge Street is set to start in January.
Work is programmed to start on Monday 9 January 2017 and is scheduled to last for 13 weeks. One lane of traffic will be closed in both directions either side of the crossing between 9.30am and 3.30pm, Monday to Friday. All lanes will be open at peak times.
Peak travel periods create congestion at the Rivergate roundabout, partly through vehicles queuing on Bishop’s Road. Further road congestion arises from westbound traffic waiting to turn into the Bishop’s Road car park.
The scheme proposes to:
- Relocate the current signal crossing around 65m further East. Most pedestrians using the crossing walk to or from car parks or towards the Regional Pool.
- Create two eastbound lanes east of the crossing to provide a dedicated right turn lane to the Lido car park.
- Improved cycling provision – including through Lido Gardens
- Widen the footway to the north side of the road and designate shared use for pedestrians and cyclists.
- Create an improved crossing point for pedestrians and cyclists at the vehicle entrance to Car Haven Car Park.
- Install new LED lighting
- Improve pedestrian footways and crossing points at the Vineyard / Bishops Road / Gravel Walk roundabout.
Improvements to cycle ways are due to start in summer 2016. Carriageway works will start in early 2017.