Skip to main content

Creating a new vehicle access (dropped kerb)


To create a new vehicle access to your property, or extend an existing access, you need to first determine whether the road that you want to install the vehicle access on is classified or unclassified. If the road is classified, you need to apply for planning permission in the first instance.

Prior to continuing with the application, if you are not the owner of the property, you need to seek this permission before progressing.

If you are unsure if you live on a classified or unclassified road, you can use the map below to check.

How to apply for a dropped kerb

For properties on a classified road (ie. 'A', 'B', or 'C' roads)

If you live on a classified road you need to apply for planning permission to drop the kerb to your property.

Details on how to apply including the applications can be found on the apply for planning or building regulations page

For properties on an unclassified road (ie. housing estate etc)

If you live on an unclassified road you do not need to apply for planning permission, unless the creation of the dropped kerb to your property would involve the loss of a grass verge between your property and the road.

If this is the case then planning permission will be required. Details on how to apply including the applications can be found on the apply for planning or building regulations page

We would not typically allow a vehicle crossing across an existing parking area / layby.

Criteria for vehicle crossings

The parking space (within your own property) for your vehicle must have a depth of five metres (at approximately right angles to the road) and a minimum width of 2.5 metres.

Please note we will not allow any vehicle crossing where the depth of the frontage parking space is less than five metres, so please do not apply.

The width of the vehicle crossing needs to be three or four low kerbs wide for a single crossing. If shared with a neighbour, it needs to be six to eight low kerbs wide. We will not permit a vehicle crossing the full width of a property or on the radius of a junction.

The distance between vehicle crossings needs to be a minimum of three full height kerbs. Maintaining the visibility splay is the responsibility of the landowner and this will be requested by the Highway team at the point of application.

Where an unbound material (ie gravel) is used on the driveway, it is for the landowner to keep this unbound material off the footpath.

Electric vehicle charging

With more electric vehicles using the road network, there will be a need to charge these vehicles. Any requests for vehicle crossings will still need to comply with the above requirements.

Contact the highway maintenance team

Once you have planning permission, or if you do not need planning permission, you need to contact the highway maintenance team by emailing

The highways maintenance team will send you an application form, provide a preliminary indication of the fee payable and specify the construction details and drawings required. This consent is required to ensure that any proposed crossing does not present a safety hazard to other users of the highway and to ensure that all works are carried out to the appropriate standard.

If you live in a new property where there is a current application in by a developer to have the adjoining road dedicated as public highway, please contact the highway control team by emailing to check how this will affect the planning consent and road adoption application for the site. Failure to do so may prejudice the adoption of the estate roads.

A list of the adopted roads can be found under 'List of Streets' on our Highway Control page.