Roads and pavements

Follow @PeterboroughCC on twitter or like the Peterborough City Council page on Facebook to keep up-to-date with traffic updates.

On this page:

Highway maintenance

Highways Maintenenace are responsible for the resurfacing and repairing of carriageways and footways, and maintenance and/or replacement of street nameplates. 

The Highways England is responsible for the A1 and the A47 east of Wansford and majority of the A47 through the greater Peterborough area. We are the Local Highway Authority responsible for the maintenance of the A47 west of Wansford, and all other roads. This section tells you anything you need to know about Peterborough's roads, their maintenance and traffic.

For list of streets and information on nameplates, please visit our street name and numbering page.

Back to top


Roadwork details are available online, most of the information is supplied by external companies so we cannot guarantee its accuracy. Some roadworks may not be displayed.

Back to top

Road safety

We have a target to reduce the number casualties on Peterborough roads and offer various road safety training, education and useful information to all road users in Peterborough from the Safer Peterborough Partnership website.

Back to top

Traffic regulations orders

Traffic regulation orders (TRO's) are a major form of traffic management. Highway authorities, like Peterborough City Council, can make these orders to control the movement and waiting of vehicles.

Traffic regulation orders have to go through a statutory consultation process to allow those affected to comment before it can take legal effect.

You can view any TRO's that are currently being consulted on in the consultations section. 

Examples of traffic regulation orders are:

  • parking or loading restrictions including loading bays, disabled bays, resident permit parking, limited waiting and bus stop clearways
  • charges for car parks or Pay & Display bays
  • double/single yellow lines
  • one way streets
  • no entry
  • speed limits
  • prohibitions of types of vehicles (for example by weight or width, bus lanes, cycle lanes)
  • prohibited manoeuvres (such as 'No Right Turn').

Back to top


Safety is always our priority. We carry out regular inspections of the roads but also rely on the public reporting potholes to us. Following the 2014 budget statement, we bid for a share of the Pothole Fund to help repair damage to the local road network and received £412,000.

You can report a pothole online.

Potholes are assessed to decide which ones need to be treated as a priority. Highway defects fall into one of the following categories:

  • Category 1 - are emergency defects that are made safe within 2 hours or 24 hours. These repairs may be temporary to make the road safe until permanent repairs can be made later
  • Category 2 - are non-emergency defects that are further classified as high, medium or low and become part of the maintenance programme with repairs planned within 7days, 28 days or more depending on their nature.

2017/18 Pothole Action Fund

As part of the ongoing funding from the Government for the Pothole action fund, we have been  allocated money to be spent on fixing potholes.

As part of the fund Peterborough City Council received £407,536.

In line with Department for Transport guidance to promote greater transparency we have produced a progress report showing how the money has been spent and how this additional funding complemented the wider maintenance expenditure.

Peterborough City Council’s structural carriageway maintenance budget prior to the announcement of the pothole fund was £2,531,000, with the funding increasing this to £2,938,536 (an increase of 16%).

Pothole Action Fund progress report

Size: 307.69 KB File format: pdf

Surfacing and repairs

We are able to apply to the Department for Transport for additional funding for transport projects. 

    • 2012/13 we successfully secured a £500,000 grant from the Department for Transport, to repair roads damaged by severe winter weather seen in 2010/11
    • 2013/14 we successfully secured £532,000 for essential highway maintenance, following an unsuccessful bid in spring 2012 to address the exceptional damage to the road network caused by the extreme drought in 2011. We decided to use the funding to contribute toward repairing the below 29 sites, treated up until 31 March 2014.
      • Archers Drove, Bukehorn Road, Dairy Drove, Drain Road, English Drove, French Drove,
        Green Drove, Hodney Road, Knarr Fen Road, Manor Drive, Meadow Road, Middle Road,
        New Cut, Old Knarr Fen Drove, Oxney Road, Paston Parkway, Peterborough Road (Newborough), School Road (Newborough), Scolding Drove, Speechley Drove, Storey’s Bar Road, The Reaches, Thorney Road (Newborough), Thorney Road (Eye), Wallaces Drove, Whitepost Road, Whittlesey Road (Thorney), Willow Hall Lane, Willow Drove.

The Department for Transport also provides additional funds for emergency road repairs.

Different types of road maintenance

  • routine maintenance - generally minor highway maintenance defects
  • planned maintenance - large schemes or programmes of works which are planned in advance
  • reactive or emergency maintenance - emergency and urgent defects.

Back to top

Access protection markings

Access protection markings are white line roadside markings that are used to show where there is access required to a property. Although parking on them is not an offence in itself, most drivers respect the markings so access to property is not obstructed.

As the markings only cover the extent of the dropped kerbs there are no additional parking problems for neighbours.

How to apply for access protection markings

Access protection markings are used in front of a dropped kerb. You can apply for an access protection marking by contacting customer services, a request can also come from a highways inspector.

When a request is made, we will check for any other parking restrictions that are already in place on the highway. If there is already a yellow line restriction the access protection marking request will be refused.

The fee for an access protection marking is £95, payment is required before the work can begin. The whole process takes between 4 and 6 weeks to complete, weather permitting.

Back to top

Highway bridges 

We are responsible for maintaining over 400 bridge structures within the Peterborough Area. These include bridges, footbridges and subways. Occasionally, these structures require maintenance works which are listed below:

  • Hundreds Road bridge - works postponed until further notice. During works, the road will be closed to traffic. Diversions are signed via Peterborough Rd, A16, B1040 and vice versa. 
  • Nene Bridge - Inspections prior to the project had shown signs of structural distress to the bearings and the saddles of the piers. In addition, some of the piers had begun to show signs of strain.

Nene Bridge update April 2019

Size: 739.46 KB File format: pdf

There are also other bridge owners/authorities, the largest being:

Back to top

Highway drainage

We are responsible for maintaining the gullies on the public roads and footways. When it rains the surface water that collects on roads and footpaths can cause difficulties for highway users. Drains are cleaned on a regular basis to ensure that water is removed as quickly as possible. 

Back to top

Dropped kerbs

If you would like to apply for a dropped kerb to be installed outside of your property, email for more information.

Back to top

Apply for a disabled parking bay

Disabled parking bays can be used only by vehicles displaying a valid blue badge. You can apply for a disabled bay to be installed near your home but you must meet the following criteria in order to be considered.

  • you must have no access to a garage, driveway or other off street parking
  • you must hold a valid disabled driver’s blue badge
  • you must be regularly unable to park conveniently near to
  • your residence, due to heavy on-street parking
  • you must either be the driver of the vehicle or the driver must be a resident at your address
  • a location for the bay must be found that is acceptable to the police
  • your application must receive the support of a local County Council member and your parish council

To apply for a disabled parking bay, email

Please note: a disabled parking bay can be used by any blue badge holder and are not reserved for an applicant's sole use.

Back to top

Processing Request