Peterborough Crematorium was opened in 1958 and is owned and administered by the council. The Crematorium is located in approximately 26 acres of land, much of it left as original ancient woodland.
The trees enhance the tranquil atmosphere of the grounds and because of its origins; during the springtime, we have carpets of bluebells and other wild flowers. There are also a variety of birds and animals that visit the area.
- Peterborough Bereavement Services
|Office||Book of Remembrance Room|
|Monday to Friday||9am to 5pm||9am to 5pm|
|Saturday and Sunday||9am to 12pm||9am to 12.30pm|
|Bank holidays||Closed||9am to 12.30pm|
Please note: When the Book of Remembrance Room is closed, weekends and Bank Holidays, the Books of Remembrance will be turned so that they can be viewed through the windows on the outside of the building. Vases will be available for public use on the outside of the Book of Remembrance Room and the reserved vase facility will still be available.
- 1 April to 30 September - 9am to 7pm
- 1 October to 31 March - 9am to 5pm (Except when attending a funeral)
Assistance with funeral costs
If you're on a low income and need help to pay for a funeral you're arranging, you may:
- be able to get a funeral payment from the Social Fund
- be able to get a Bereavement Payment which is a one-off, lump-sum tax-free payment of £2,000 if the deceased is your husband, wife or civil partner
- be able to claim the Bereavement Payment if your husband, wife or civil partner had paid their National Insurance contributions or their death was caused by their job and were either: under State Pension age when they died or they were entitled to 'Category A state retirement benefit' when they died.
News and events
- The annual Memorial Service is due to be held at Peterborough Crematorium on Sunday 26 June 2016 at 3pm. Please contact the Bereavement Services office for more information.
- A covered walkway has now been built and Mourners can now walk from the chapel to the floral tribute area, view the flowers and access their limousine under shelter.
- A Woodland Walk has opened within the Crematorium grounds in Pocock’s Woods. The entrance to the walk can be found at the rear of the grounds.
Service standards and awards
We aim to keep the standards at Peterborough Crematorium to a level that provides a place of comfort, tranquillity and quiet reflection. We are very proud to once again have been awarded the Green Flag award.
Peterborough Bereavement Services are members of the Charter for the Bereaved and hold the Gold Standard for this service.
On the rare occasion that you feel that our service has been below standard, please contact us at Peterborough Crematorium, by telephone, visiting the office, or email.
Wildlife and nature
The trees enhance the tranquil atmosphere of the grounds and because of its origins, during the springtime, we have carpets of bluebells and other wildflowers. There are also a variety of birds and animals that visit the area.
Unfortunately some of these visitors, along with squirrels, can be less welcome in the formal areas as they will tend to nibble the formal planting and flowers which have been left on memorials. If you are lucky you may also see badger tracks in soft ground after rain.
It is also worth taking a few moments to stop and listen to the birds who make the woodland their home. If you are lucky you may even hear a woodpecker as it drills into a tree looking for insects. There are dedicated display boards in the memorial garden to help illustrate this.
Various information leaflets can be collected from the Bereavement Services office, or alternatively downloaded from below.