Skip to main content

Building work road occupation licence


A licence is required for occupation of the highway in connection with building work such as scaffolds, hoardings and mobile elevated working platforms or building materials on the highway. A highway can include roads, pavements and verges.

In order to regulate place a scaffold or hoarding on the highway you are required to obtain a licence in accordance with the Highways Act 1980

Qualifying criteria

  • The applicant must have public liability insurance to a minimum of £5,000,000
  • The applicant must be qualified under The New Roads and Street Works Act 1991 to erect signing and guarding on the highway.

No. It is in the public interest that Peterborough City Council must process your application before it can be granted. If you have not heard from Peterborough City Council within a reasonable period (28 Days), please contact us. You can do this using the contact details below.


All fees payable to Peterborough City Council:

  • Road Closure Order £1,250
  • Road Closure Order emergency £500
  • Scaffolds/ Hoardings /MEWP Licence applications  - Initial Application £140 per month, Extension/ Renewal £70 per month
  • Mobile Elevated Working Platforms - Initial Application £135 per month

Application to occupy a road in relation to building works

The following criteria must be considered when the application is being evaluated:

  • is it possible to undertake the works in a different manner that would cause less obstruction of the highway? (Scaffolds, Hoardings and Mobile Elevated Working Platforms)
  • is it possible to store the materials on private land? (Building Materials on the Highway)
  • would the scaffold, hoarding or building materials be blocking visibility at a junction
  • is the highway surface adequately protected
  • are any highway drains or utility access chambers obstructed
  • is the site adequately guarded
  • is the site adequately signed by NRSWA qualified personnel
  • has the applicant got a minimum of £5,000,000 public liability insurance
  • has at least 10 working days notice been given from receipt of application.

A licence will only be granted in exceptional circumstances relating to building materials where there is nowhere else to keep the materials. We will inspect the site on a random basis.

Failed application redress

Any applicant who is refused a licence can appeal in writing to Peterborough City Council Streetworks Team by emailing

Licence holder redress

Any licence holder who wishes to appeal against a condition attached to their licence can appeal in writing to Peterborough City Council Streetworks Team by emailing