Events on the highway (street party)

If you wish to hold a small non-commercial event on the highway to bring the people of your local community together, you need to request permission using the small events booking form.  

Examples of these events include:

  • The Big Lunch
  • Olympics and Paralympics
  • The King's Coronation 
  • Any other local event within your community.

These events normally last one day or less and take place in residential streets with a small amount of traffic. Guidance on organising a street party is available on the GOV.UK website or from The Street Party site.

If you require further guidance or advice on this service, please contact our street works team by contacting customer services or email

Application to hold an event on the highway (street party)

Should you wish to hold an event, you will need to complete the small event booking form.

You will be required to notify all residents or businesses which are in the area directly affected by the proposed road closure and need to consider how the emergency services would access the area in the event of an emergency.

This application is not appropriate for long term road closures for building, highway maintenance or utility works etc and events will not be considered on main roads.


There is no charge payable for such an event and public liability insurance is not required.

Qualifying criteria

The applicant must be an individual representing their local community or charity.

The following criteria must be considered when the application is being evaluated.

  • Is the event of a non-commercial nature?
  • Is the proposed event on the public highway?
  • What type of road is proposed for closure i.e. is it a cul-de-sac or a through road?
  • What volume of traffic typically uses the road at the time of the event?

It is in the public interest that the authority must process your application before it can be granted. If you have not heard from the local authority within a reasonable period please contact us and do not assume that your event can take place.