Skip to main content

House to house collection licence


In order to make a House to House charitable collection you will need a permit. Large charities quite often have a Home Office Exemption Order and this makes them exempt from having to obtain a permit from us, although they should notify us of their intention to commence this activity within the Peterborough boundary.

The Chief Constable of the Police area can issue certificates for the purpose of completing a charitable House to House Collection if he is satisfied that the purpose is local in character, and that the collection is likely to be completed within a short period. Where a certificate is granted, a licence from us is not required, and the provisions of the regulations shall not apply to a collection made in conformity with such certificate.

Charitable collections city wide for clothing etc in compliance with the House to House Collections Regulations 1947 (as amended) and the House to House Collections Act 1939

Apply for a house to house collection licence

If you do not have an exemption order, you will need to complete the online application form and provide a letter of authority from the charity authorising you to make the collection:


Currently we do not charge for this licence.

Qualifying criteria

Every promoter of a collection must exercise all due diligence to secure that persons authorised to act as collectors are fit and proper persons and to secure compliance by collectors within the regulations.

No promoter of a collection shall permit any person to act as a collector unless he has issued to that person a prescribed certificate of authority, badge, or if money is to be collected a collection box marked with a general indication of the purpose of the collection and a distinguishing number.

No. It is in the public interest that we must process your application before a licence can be granted. If you have not heard from us with a reasonable period (28 days), please contact us.

Failed application redress

Any applicant refused a permit can appeal to the City Centre Officer by emailing, but appeals must be lodged within 14 days of the refusal. You have the right to appeal to the Minister for the Cabinet office.

Licence holder redress

You have the right to appeal to the Minister for the Cabinet Officer. Appeals must be lodged within 14 days of the decision.

Other redress

It is always advisable to make contact with the City Centre Officer giving details of any complaints e.g,, more than one collection at the same time in the same area.