If you wish to trade as a street trader in Peterborough, mobile or static, you will need to apply for a street trading consent.
If you are renewing your street trading consent then please click on the button at the bottom of this page which will take you to the online form.
Street trading is regulated by the Local Government (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 1982 licence holders must ensure they comply with legislation.
Street trading excludes the pedestrianised city centre areas.
If you are applying for a location that has not previously been occupied, an initial consultation will be required. Following the consultation period (28 days) authorised officers will determine your application.
If you wish to sell hot food or drink between 11pm and 5am you will also need to apply for a Premises Licence.
Street trading in the city centre
The City Centre is available for street trading throughout the year. More booking and contact information can be found on our advertising page.
Apply for any street trading consent
Please note: when making an additional payment please remember to quote the reference number given and ensure that you only pay the amount requested.
Before applying we recommend that you speak to a member of our licensing team who will be able to advise you of any vacant locations.
We will have regard to the following when considering an application for a street trading consent:
- where the location has not been previously consented consultation will be carried out with the relevant authorities
- where objections are received they will be considered before any consent is issued
- conditions will be added to all consents to ensure that the consent holder operates according to legislation and the requirements of Peterborough City Council
- any previous trading history can be taken in to consideration.
- the suitability of the location
- the type, size and appearance of the unit
- product types to be sold
- the location in relation to other traders nearby
General street trading fees
- Initial consultation fee £160.00 (non-refundable) not required if location has been previously consented
- Daytime 5am to 11pm £15.00 per day - reduced to £11.25 per day
- Evening 11pm to 5am £15.00 per night (An additional Late Night Refreshment Licence may be required) - reduced to £11.25 per day
- Ice Cream Traders £793.00 annually - reduced to £594.75 per annum
- Consents will be issued for a 3, 6, 9 or 12 month period as follows: 1 Apr to 30 June, 1 Jul to 30 Sep, 1 Oct to 31 Dec, 1 Jan to 31 Mar.
- 12 month consents can only be issued to run from 1 Apr to 31 Mar.
- Your 6 digit licence number.
- Public Liability Insurance Certificate.
- Food registration number
City centre street trading fees
We operate a fixed price scheme for the activities detailed below:
- New Car Promotions (2 cars) £265 per day
- New Car Promotions (additional cars) £132 per day, per car
- Market Research Companies £198 annual fee
- Catalogue companies £198 annual fee
Hire agreements priced at per square metre, per day:
- Monday to Wednesday £15
- Thursday to Sunday £18
- Seven days (full week) £94
- Use of electricity £20.23 per pitch, per day inclusive of VAT
- be at least 17 years of age
- not employ any person under the age of 14 years (Section 20, Children and Young Persons Act 1993)
- fully complete all relevant sections of the application form
- ensure that the correct fee accompanies the application form
- complete all calculations of the street trading fee form
- the calendar form must be completed and attached to the application
- complete a separate application for each unit or trading location
- provide details of a valid and current public liability insurance policy
- provide a breakdown of the proposed activities and the required dates for occupation
- provide a plan of the location indicating the proposed position of the unit (initial consultation only)
- written permission must be supplied from the land owner where trading is to be carried out on private land.
Will tacit consent apply?
Yes. This means that you will be able to act as though your application is granted if you have not heard otherwise within 40 days.
Failed application redress
Please contact us in the first instance. Any person who is refused a street trading consent can appeal to the Licensing Committee, this must be done in writing and must be received within 21 days of being notified of the refusal to grant the consent.
Licence holder redress
Any consent holder who objects to a condition attached to a licence may appeal to the Licensing Committee.
If you have any issues regarding a street trader for example complaints relating to; noise, pollution, obstruction or possible non compliance with regulations, or if one trader wishes to complain about another, please contact us for help and advice.
Street trading consent renewals
Consent renewals are due and payable quarterly in advance. In order for an existing consent to be renewed we require both payment and the application form submitted together