Tattooist, piercing or cosmetic registration


If you offer tattooing, semi-permanent skin colouring, cosmetic piercing, electrolysis, or acupuncture, these are regulated by the Local Government (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 1982 and you must be registered with us. If you carry out acupuncture you will also require a personal licence issued by us.

A premises where any of the above functions are carried out must be registered. Once registered, a certificate of registration will be issued. Registration will include the names of the people working at the premises so it is important that we are notified of any changes.

Qualifying criteria

You must provide specific information, including details of your premises and any previous convictions for practicing without a licence in this field.

Tacit consent does not apply. It is in the public interest that we must process your registration before it can be approved. If you have not heard from us within 28 days, please contact us. 


Please contact us in the first instance. If a registration is suspended or cancelled the registration holder may appeal to the county court.

If you have any issues regarding a premises or a practitioner or possible non compliance with regulations, or if one practitioner wishes to complain about another, please contact us for help and advice.

Apply for a tattooing, piercing or electrolysis licence

Please apply using the application form below.

Once a valid application has been submitted an officer will visit the premises in order to make the necessary observations to decide if the premises and the person carrying out the activity are compliant with the criteria set out in the legislation and conditions adopted by us.


  • Tattooing, Body Piercing, Acupuncture and Electrolysis Premise Application = £275
  • Acupuncture Person Licence = £110
  • Application to Vary a Licence = £28

Pay for a tattooing, piercing or electrolysis licence

Registered tattooists and cosmetic tattooists

*Practice from a residential address, contact for details.

Tattoo advice

It is against the law to tattoo a person under the age of 18 even with parental consent.

It is also against the law for any tattoo artist or business to operate in the borough without first being registered with the council.

Have you had a tattoo by an unregistered tattooist?

A registered tattooist knows what to do to avoid spreading infection, but if you have ever had a tattoo done by a friend, or an unregistered tattooist, you might have picked up a potentially serious infection.

Unregistered tattooists, or Scratchers, have not been licensed or inspected by the Local Authority and often have poor cleaning standards and poor infection controls. Anyone who has had a tattoo from unregistered tattooists could be at risk of a number of blood borne infections. Infections like hepatitis B, hepatitis C and HIV often have no symptoms until they have been present for many years, but can be treated if they are picked up early.

If you think you might be at risk you can go to a sexual health clinic or to your GP to talk about getting a blood test.

More information about these infections is available from:

To discuss testing contact iCaSH Peterborough or visit your GP.

If you have concerns about a possible unregistered tattooist please contact customer services or email