Where possible, skips should not be placed on the highway, but if it is necessary then the company supplying the skip must apply to us for a licence to place a builders skip on the highway.
Licences can only be granted to companies who:
- have Public Liability Insurance for a minimum of £5,000,000
- hold a Waste Carrier’s Licence issued by the Environment Agency
- hold a Goods Vehicle Operators Licence issued by Vehicle And Operator Services Agency (VOSA)
By applying for a licence, the company is agreeing to comply with conditions of permission which are part of the Highways Act Section 139.
Will tacit consent apply?
Yes. This means that you will be able to act as though your application is granted if you have not heard otherwise from the Streetworks Team within 7 days.
- Skip licence applications and renewals: £45
- Skip in the city centre: £200 per day
- Skip in a metered parking bay: £50 per day
- Skip in city centre wait-and-load: £60 per skip
Apply for a licence to place a skip on the highway
Please note: when making an additional payment please remember to quote the reference number given and ensure that you only pay the amount requested.
The following criteria must be considered when the application is being evaluated:
- has the applicant got the relevant Public Liability Insurance
- is the skip on highway land
- are there any parking restrictions if the skip is required on carriageway
- is the carriageway wide enough to get traffic past
- is there a safe route for pedestrians past the skip, if the skip is on footpath
- is the skip or the placing of the skip likely to damage the surface.
Failed application redress
Any applicant who is refused a licence can appeal in writing to the Street Works Team by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
Licence holder redress
Any licence holder who wishes to appeal against a condition attached to their licence can appeal in writing to the Street Works Team by emailing email@example.com.