Skip to main content


Protected trees include those covered by a tree preservation order (TPO) or those which grow in a conservation area. You will need consent from the Council even if you wish to prune branches overhanging from a neighbour's protected tree.

You can check whether or not the tree is within a Conservation Area using our Interactive map.

Further information can be found on the trees and hedges page

What you need to submit

The list below details supporting documents that may need to be submitted as part of your application. Please refer to each section below in order to determine whether or not you need to submit it as part of your application.

Always required

Please ensure that you have completed every section of the application form before submitting. Where sections or questions are not relevant please state this on the form.

The associated help file for this type of application can be found online.

Apply using

Please note: "Apply online" websites are provided by private companies who may charge additional fees for their services. Peterborough City Council offer no technical support for customers using these sites, if you encounter an issue please contact the relevant website service helpdesk. If you opt to download and complete the application form instead it is your responsibility to ensure that the forms, the appropriate supporting documentation and correct fee are sent to Peterborough City Council either by email or post.

No fee is required for this type of application.

Always required

Please provide a sketch plan showing the precise location of all trees.

Always required

A full and clear specification of the works to be carried out.

For works to trees protected by Tree Preservation Order

A statement of the reasons for the proposed work.

For works to trees protected by Tree Preservation Order

Evidence in support of justification for proposed works.

In particular, you should provide:

  • report by a professional (e.g. arboriculturist or horticultural adviser) if your reasons relate to the health and/or safety of tree(s);
  • a report by an engineer or surveyor, together with one from a tree professional (arboriculturist) if you are alleging subsidence damage.