If your property is Listed you will need to apply for listed building consent if:

  • you want to demolish a listed building or;
  • you want to alter or extend a listed building in a manner which would affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest.

You may also need listed building consent for any works to separate buildings within the grounds of a listed building.

If you are uncertain as to whether or not your property is listed, you can search for your property using our Interactive Map.

The best way of developing an application is through pre-application discussions with officers who can also advise on the level of information required.

For further information please refer to the Listed Buildings page on our website; in addition English Heritage offer a range of planning advice.

Guidance Notes

What you need to submit

The list below details supporting documents that may need to be submitted as part of your application. Please refer to each section below in order to determine whether or not you need to submit it as part of your application.